A high thing and a low thing

It’s kinda like the idea when you subtract all that space that can go in between two things…it just creates this dimension to it, because you got two, you got a high thing and a low thing, and it’s basically like two things rather than just playing a chord, which makes it just like one thing...So it was a good way to play acoustic guitar and be able to kind of improvise with myself because I can send my head to two directions at once, you know…Like an example, improvising with that kind of thing…you know, you can just sit there and have fun with yourself, kinda be the bass player and the guitar player at once, you know…

You can’t forget that it’s all about playing music, it’s not about what you can show people that you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on it…The idea is to make sounds that are good. In music that’s so much about the relationships between different things, so for me, like if I’m sitting at home, studying a particular guitar solo, it’s not enough for me to just learn the solo – I have to make sure I understand the relationship between the notes that the lead player is playing and the chords that are being played behind it, or the bass line that’s being played behind it… and I think that the fact that I take that approach to it comes out a lot in my soloing, because I’m often really absorbed in what the bass and the drums are doing, and I’m really thinking about trying to create a dimension and a relationship to that, you know? I’m not thinking in terms of: “oh good, they’re giving me a blank canvas now, I can go crazy over it.” It’s more like a constant interaction with what the other people are playing…

Back