W.Wordsworth

WORDSWORTH, WILLIAM (1770-1850) born at Cockermouth. His boyhood was full of adventure among the hills, and he says of himself that he showed "a stiff, moody, and violent temper." He lost his mother when he was 8, and his father in 1783 when he was 13.

He settled with his sister at Racedown, Dorsetshire, and shortly afterwards removed to Alfoxden, in the Quantock Hills, to be near Coleridge, who was then living at Nether Stowey in the same neighbourhood. One result of the intimacy thus established was the planning of a joint work, “Lyrical Ballads”, to which Coleridge contributed “The Ancient Mariner”, and Wordsworth, among other pieces, “Tintern Abbey”. The first edition of the work appeared in 1798. With the profits of this he went, accompanied by his sister and Coleridge, to Germany, where he lived chiefly at Goslar

in 1804 he made a tour in Scotland, and began his friendship with Scott. The year 1807 saw the publication of “Poems in Two Volumes”, which contains much of his best work, including the "Ode to Duty," "Intimations of Immortality," "Yarrow Unvisited," and the "Solitary Reaper.

The work of Wordsworth is singularly unequal. When at his best, as in the "Intimations of Immortality," "Laodamia," some passages in “The Excursion”, and some of his short pieces, and especially his sonnets, he rises to heights of noble inspiration and splendour of language rarely equalled by any of our poets. But it required his poetic fire to be at fusing point to enable him to burst through his natural tendency to prolixity and even dulness. He has a marvellous felicity of phrase, an unrivalled power of describing natural appearances and effects, and the most ennobling views of life and duty. But his great distinguishing characteristic is his sense of the mystic relations between man and nature. His influence on contemporary and succeeding thought and literature has been profound and lasting. It should be added that Wordsworth, like Milton, with whom he had many points in common, was the master of a noble and expressive prose style.

"Not seldom clad in radiant vest
Deceitfully goes forth the dawn,
Not seldom evening in the west
Sinks smilingly forsworn."

- W.Wordsworth

Sources: A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature
Author: John W.Cousin

The Solitary Reaper

BEHOLD her, single in the field,
Yon solitary Highland Lass!
Reaping and singing by herself;
Stop here, or gently pass!
Alone she cuts and binds the grain,
And sings a melancholy strain;
O listen! for the Vale profound
Is overflowing with the sound.

No Nightingale did ever chaunt
More welcome notes to weary bands
Of travellers in some shady haunt,
Among Arabian sands:
A voice so thrilling ne'er was heard
In spring-time from the Cuckoo-bird,
Breaking the silence of the seas
Among the farthest Hebrides.

Will no one tell me what she sings?—
Perhaps the plaintive numbers flow
For old, unhappy, far-off things,
And battles long ago:
Or is it some more humble lay,
Familiar matter of to-day?
Some natural sorrow, loss, or pain,
That has been, and may be again?

Whate'er the theme, the Maiden sang
As if her song could have no ending;
I saw her singing at her work,
And o'er the sickle bending;—
I listen'd, motionless and still;
And, as I mounted up the hill,
The music in my heart I bore,
Long after it was heard no more.

Vordsvort je po meni dosadni matorac, ogranicen svojom sopstvenom dosadnom pricom o viziji i prirodi, pakleno je zabrazdio u najdosadnije himne o neodredjenim masanjima, i daleko je ispod Bajrona, i dugih Evropskih romanticara. U stvari, posle Baha pisati takvu poeziju je kriminalno delo, a ne umetnost. Zaista, nije mi bas ni malo interesantan.

bas si tvrd u tvom stavu
--------

London 1802

Milton! thou shouldst be living at this hour:
England hath need of thee: she is a fen
Of stagnant waters: altar, sword, and pen,
Fireside, the heroic wealth of hall and bower,
Have forfeited their ancient English dower
Of inward happiness. We are selfish men;
Oh! raise us up, return to us again;
And give us manners, virtue, freedom, power.
Thy soul was like a Star, and dwelt apart:
Thou hadst a voice whose sound was like the sea:
Pure as the naked heavens, majestic, free,
So didst thou travel on life's common way,
In cheerful godliness; and yet the heart
The lowliest duties on herself did lay.

My Heart Leaps Up

My heart leaps up when I behold
A rainbow in the sky:
So was it when my life began;
So is it now I am a man;
So be it when I shall grow old,
Or let me die!
The Child is father of the Man;
And I could wish my days to be
Bound each to each by natural piety.

Zanimljivost

Lake Poets, term loosely applied to three English poets, Robert Southey, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, and William Wordsworth (and sometimes Thomas De Quincey), who lived in the Lake District of England. The works of these poets had little relationship to one another, although each exemplified romantic principles in poetry.

Wordsworth vs. Lord Byron

fragmenti
------
segment of Don Juan is directed towards Robert Southey, and Byron takes the opportunity to make fun of the “Lakers,” or the lake poets

-------

Byron is difficult to place within the Romantic movement. He spurned poetic theory and ridiculed the critical work of William Wordsworth and Samuel Taylor Coleridge
--------
Although he was a friend of Shelley, Byron was not, as his friend was, part of the mystic tradition of Romanticism.
--------
Byronic hero and turns again to satire, as does Don Juan, a mock epic which casts a critical eye on society, presenting its title character not as the notorious womanizer of legend but as a naive victim. This complex, digressive satire, influenced by Italian burlesque poetry, was condemned on its publication as obscene and has been described by some as careless and meandering; however, most critics now regard Don Juan as Byron's masterpiece, citing its skillful rendering of a variety of narrative perspectives and its treatment of an array of topics, including politics, society, and metaphysics.
------
He was nearly forgotten by critics in the second half of the nineteenth century, and during the first half of the twentieth century, he was often ranked as a minor Romantic poet. Since then, however, his poetry has met with increasing critical interest—in particular for its employment of satire and verbal digression

Sta ja sve necu da procitam na ovom forumu. Vordsvort koji je zajedno sa Kolridzom izvrsio revolucionarni preokret u engleskoj poeziji je dosadni matorac. :lol:
Kako se lako nalepe veliki ljudi zarad velicanja sopstvenog ukusa tj, sujete, ja videh samo na forumu.
Sutra cu se malo vise posvetiti temi.:wink:

Dear Divlja, cemu takvi komentari? N.B.:
"...his natural tendency to prolixity and even dulness...."

Napisao neki tip koji nema veze sa forumom i sujetom. Uzgred budi receno, polaskan sam sto mislis da imam ukus i da sam sujetan. Zao mi je sto ne mozes da se nasmejes kada Pajtonovci kazu da je Platon *****. Sve u svemu, steta sto rasipas tolike reci i postove na banalnosti, ja sam mislio da si veca faca. Tja, kako je tebe lako zaslepiti...

Digresija. Brodski kaze da je Tolstoj neminovan, zato sto je Dostojevski nedostizan. Mozda brani ukus, ta sujetna magarcina, ko ce ga znati, ali isto bi se moglo reci i za Vordsvorta i Bajrona. Vordsvorta je mogao da kopira ko je hteo, Bajrona ne.

@ Ko vidi?

Sto brises svoje postove? To da ti je dosadan mogu da razumem

Ali teze tipa:" U stvari, posle Baha pisati takvu poeziju je kriminalno delo, a ne umetnost"

Ili "Vordsvorta je mogao da kopira ko je hteo, Bajrona ne."

Su mi stvarno neshvatljive. Ako mozes da ih malo obrazlozis

Posto tako visoko cenis Bajrona Otvori temu o njemu

The Tables Turned

Up! up! my Friend, and quit your books;
Or surely you'll grow double:
Up! up! my Friend, and clear your looks;
Why all this toil and trouble?

The sun above the mountain's head,
A freshening lustre mellow
Through all the long green fields has spread,
His first sweet evening yellow.

Books! 'tis a dull and endless strife:
Come, hear the woodland linnet,
How sweet his music! on my life,
There's more of wisdom in it.

And hark! how blithe the throstle sings!
He, too, is no mean preacher:
Come forth into the light of things,
Let Nature be your teacher.

She has a world of ready wealth,
Our minds and hearts to bless--
Spontaneous wisdom breathed by health,
Truth breathed by cheerfulness.

One impulse from a vernal wood
May teach you more of man,
Of moral evil and of good,
Than all the sages can.

Sweet is the lore which Nature brings;
Our meddling intellect
Mis-shapes the beauteous forms of things:--
We murder to dissect.

Enough of Science and of Art;
Close up those barren leaves;
Come forth, and bring with you a heart
That watches and receives.

Vulgarizujes, ili se zajebavash, ko ce ga znati. Ako popunis jos deset stranica sa njegovim pesmama, ja cu otvoriti temu o Bajronu. P.S.: Nisam izbrisao post, ali cu ga ponoviti:

ne.

ko vidi? Sto bas deset ? :lol:

The Simplon Pass

Brook and road
Were fellow-travellers in this gloomy Pass,
And with them did we journey several hours
At a slow step. The immeasurable height
Of woods decaying, never to be decayed,
The stationary blasts of waterfalls,
And in the narrow rent, at every turn,
Winds thwarting winds bewildered and forlorn,
The torrents shooting from the clear blue sky,
The rocks that muttered close upon our ears,
Black drizzling crags that spake by the wayside
As if a voice were in them, the sick sight
And giddy prospect of the raving stream,
The unfettered clouds and region of the heavens,
Tumult and peace, the darkness and the light--
Were all like workings of one mind, the features
Of the same face, blossoms upon one tree,
Characters of the great Apocalypse,
The types and symbols of Eternity,
Of first and last, and midst, and without end.

Vilijam je bio atipican romanticar, imao je dug i miran zivot, voleo i ziveo u prirodi, i njegov bunt protiv klasicisticke izvestacene poezije izrazio je iskljucivo stihom i odabirom neobicnih tema za svoju poeziju. Upoznaje se sa Kolridzom (prijateljstvo traje 10 godina, poznati kao "jezerski pesnici") i zajedno pisu zbirku "Lirske balade" koja je bila eksperiment. Prvo izdanje izlazi anonimno i izaziva skandal. Vecina pesama je Vordsvortovo, Kolridz je napisao nekih sest, tu spada i njegov "Stari mornar". Podelili su zadatke, Vordsvortov je bio da opeva svakidasnje ljude i predmete i ucini ih neobicnim, nesvakidasnjim, Kolridz je, s druge strane, imao zadatak da proizvede "poetsku veru" u natprirodno. Pored tema kao sto su ljudi na margini (decak idiot, cedomorka, prosjak...), ono sto je iziritiralo kriticare je bio i sam jezik, pojednostavljen do govornog jezika nizih i srednjih klasa. Odbacena je upotreba komplikovane versifikacije, balade su pevljive, jednostavna rima, ili blankvers (slobodan stih). Za par godina "Lirske balade" imaju jos dva izdanja, ne vise anonimna, Vordsvort dodaje predgovor u kome iznosi osnovne stavove nove poezije, i ovaj predgovor jeste manifest engleske romanticarske poezije. Bez ambicije da pravi sistem od svoje poetike, kritikovan je i od samog Kolridza.
Balade su lirsko epska forma, a dodatak epiteta "lirske" ispred reci balada je oksimoron, ali ukazuje na romanticarsku teznju da lirsko u pesmama ima prevlast, pesmu uvek boji neko subjektivno osecanje ili lirska slika, bez obzira sto u baladama postoji i narativni deo.
Vordsvort je sam podelio i razvrstao svoje pesme u grupe, po tematici, te tako imamo: pesme o detinjstvu, starosti, pesme maste, imaginacije, pesme zasnovane na osecanjima, na osecajnosti i razmisljanjima, pesme o slobodi i nezavisnosti, o putovanjima po Skotskoj i kontinentu, pisao je i sonete o smrti i kazni, epitafe i elegije. Sklon je kratkoj formi, samo jedno delo "Preludijum" je duze forme, pisao ga je ceo zivot i govori o duhovnom razvoju pesnika.
Meni je najlepsi ciklus o Lusi. :-)

Odgajanje u prirodi

Na suncu i kiši rasla je tri leta;
Tad Priroda reče, ''Još lepšeg cveta
Dosad na zemlji procvalog ne bi;
Uzeću to dete sasvim pod svoje,
Ja ću da je gajim k'o mezimče moje,
Od nje ću da stvorim lepoticu sebi.

Zakone i snagu svoju ću joj dati,
Ljubimčetu svome biću kao mati,
Otkriu joj silu koja svetom vlada,
Što po nebu, zemlji, močvari, planini,