Howard Lovecraft 1890-1937

diretore:
znaci li ovo da nikad niste culi za ovoga pisca?
Pozdrav,
Pročitao sam tekst o Pou i Lavkraftu, koji si stavio u temu o Pou. Zanimljivo.
Da li možeš da me uputiš na izdavača koji objavljuje njegove knjige kod nas, ako su prevodjene.
Adresa nekog sajta o Lavkraftu bi takodje završila posao.
Moram da priznam da o njemu do sada nisam znao, ali deluje krajnje interesantno.
Hvala

Bravo majstore,

jedna od najboljih knjiga koje sam u zivotu procitao. Procitao sam i onu drugu, nedovrsenu, ali nije ni blizu. Postoji i film, zaboravio sam kako se tacno zove, ali nije nista narocito. Knjiga je odlicna zaista. Nisam trazio niakkvu literaturu na netu a knjigu sam kupio davno i bio je neki mali izdavac tako da ne verujem da je to izdanje dosrtupno i danas. Vredi je potraziti.

inace za lovecrafta se vezuju i price oko Necronomicona:

In 1921 Sonia Greene met the novelist H.P. Lovecraft, and in that same year Lovecraft published the first novel where he mentions Abdul Alhazred ("The Nameless City"). In 1922 he first mention the Necronomicon ("The Hound"). On March 3rd. 1924, H.P. Lovecraft and Sonia Greene married.

We do not know what Crowley told Sonia Greene, and we do not know what Sonia told Lovecraft. However, consider the following quotation from "The Call of Cthulhu" [1926]:

"That cult would never die until the stars came right again [precession of the Equinoxes?], and the secret priests would take Cthulhu from His tomb to revive His subjects and resume His rule of earth. The time would be easy to know, for then mankind would have become as the Great Old Ones; free and wild, and beyond good and evil, with laws and morals thrown aside and all men shouting and killing and revelling in joy. Then the liberated Old Ones would teach them new ways to shout and kill and revel and enjoy themselves, and all earth would flame with a holocaust of ecstacy and freedom."

It may be brief, it may be mangled, but it has the undeniable ring of Crowley's "Book of the Law". It is easy to imagine a situation where Sonia and Lovecraft are laughing and talking in a firelit room about a new story, and Sonia introduces some ideas based on what Crowley had told her; she wouldn't even have to mention Crowley, just enough of the ideas to spark Lovecraft's imagination. There is no evidence that Lovecraft ever saw the Necronomicon, or even knew that the book existed; his Necronomicon is remarkably close to the spirit of the original, but the details are pure invention, as one would expect. There is no Yog-Sothoth or Azathoth or Nyarlathotep in the original, but there is an Aiwaz...

a evo i njegovog eseja o Necronomicon-u

History of the Necronomicon
by H. P. Lovecraft

(The original essay by Lovecraft, circulated among his friends for years and not published until after his death. An annotated version will be published in The Necronomicon Files, but in the meantime you can check out my comments.)

Original title Al Azif - azif being the word used by the Arabs to designate that nocturnal sound (made by insects) suppos'd to be the howling of daemons.

Composed by Abdul Alhazred, a mad poet of Sanaб, in Yemen, who is said to have flourished during the period of the Ommiade caliphs, circa 700 A. D. He visited the ruins of Babylon & the subterranean secret of Memphis & spent ten years alone in the great southern desert of Arabia - the Roba El Khaliyeh or "Empty Space" of the ancients - & "Dahna" or "Crimson" desert of the modern Arabs, which is held to be inhabited by protective evil spirits & monsters of death. Of this desert many strange & unbelievable marvels are told by those who pretend to have penetrated it. In his last years Alhazred dwelt in Damascus, where the Necronomicon (Al Azif) was written, & of his final death or disappearance (738 A. D.) Many terrible & conflicting things are told. He is said by Ebn Khallikan (12th cent. biographer) to have been seized by an invisible monster in broad daylight & devoured horribly before a large number of fright-frozen witnesses. Of his madness many things are told. He claimed to have been the fabulous Irem, or City of Pillars, & to have found beneath the ruins of a certain nameless desert town the shocking annals & secrets of a race older than mankind. He was only an indifferent Moslem, worshipping unknown entities whom he called Yog-Sothoth & Cthulhu.

In A. D. 950 the Azif, which had gained a considerable tho' surreptitious circulation among the philosophers of the age, was secretly translated into Greek by Theodorus Philetas of Constantinople under the title Necronomicon. For a century it impelled certain experimenters to terrible attempts, when it was suppressed and burnt by the patriarch Michael. After this it is only heard of furtively, but (1228) Olaus Wormius made a Latin translation later in the Middle Ages, & the Latin text was printed twice - one in the 15th century in black-letter (evidently in Germany) & once in the 17th - (prob. Spanish) both editions being without identifying marks, & located as to time & place by internal typographical evidence only. The work (both Latin & Gk.) was banned by Pope Gregory IX in 1232, shortly after its Latin translation, which called attention to it. The Arabic original was lost as early as Wormius' time as indicated by his prefatory note & no sight of the Greek copy (which was printed in Italy bet. 1500 & 1550) has been reported since the burning of a certain Salem man's library in 1692. A translation made by Dr. Dee was never printed, & exists only in fragments recovered from the original MS. Of the Latin texts now existing one (15th cent.) is known to be in the British Museum under lock & key, while another (17th cent.) is in the Bibliotheque Nationale at Paris. A 17th cent. edition is in the Widener Library at Harvard, & in the library of Miskatonic University at Arkham. Also in the library of the Univ. of Buenos Ayres. Numerous other copies probably exist in secret, & a 15th century one is persistently rumoured to form part of the collection of a celebrated American millionaire. A still vaguer rumour credits the preservation of a 16th cent. Greek text in the Salem family of Pickman; but if it was so preserved, it vanished with the artist R. U. Pickman, who disappeared early in 1926. The book is rapidly suppressed by the authorities of most countries, & by all the branches of organized ecclesiasticism. Reading leads to terrible consequences. It was from rumours of this book (of which relatively few of the general public know) that R. W. Chambers is said to have derived the idea of his early novel "The King in Yellow".

Na omotu albuma live after death od iron maidena je slika njihove maskote eddija koji po olujnom vremenu i sa munjama u pozadini izlazi iz groba a na nadgrobnoj ploci pise nesto od lavkrafta a po jednom njegovom delu the call of cthulu metallica je nazvala jedan svoj instrumental...

The idea of the song "The Call Of Ktulu" is based upon H.P. Lovecraft's sole book "The Shadow over Innsmouth" which was first introduced to the rest of the band by Cliff Burton. The spark of beeing fascinated by the book began quickly spreading over the rest of the band. The song's name was taken from one of H.P. Lovecraft's main story featuring Cthulhu "The Call of Cthulhu" which has been written in 1928 for the magazine "Weird Tales". The name "Ktulu" is originally written "Cthulhu" by H.P. Lovecraft.

Cthulhu originally sketched
by H.P. Lovecraft

"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die."
- H.P. Lovecraft

Citao sam "Slucaj Carlsa Dekstera Vorda" i knjiga je zaista odlicna. Medjutim najbolje njegovo delo koje sam procitao sad ne mogu nigde da pronadjem. Cini mi se da se se zove "Izmedju jave i sna" ili nesto slicno. Izdavac je bila biblioteka "Misao", mada ni to,eto, nisam siguran. Ako neko zna puno ime dela i gde moze da se nadje nek napise.

Vidi ga...otkud ti tako iznebuha...(Ko Tjutan Jecmenica)...

Nije da nisi u pravu...uzmi sta je sve nastalo od Khuthluovog zova...(video sam igricu pre neki dan...strasno!!!)...al` ako procitas onu njegovu "Natprirodnu stravu u knjizevnosti" - videces da je i on imao gomilu uzora....
Ovo sto si pomenuo....nekako mi se najvise kraj njegovog pisanja preklapa sa pocetkom Bredberijevog - koji je opet pri kraju svoje karijere doziveo da vidi pocetke Kingove(malo sam uzeo olako ovo zadnje,ali ipak se preklapaju kraj popularnosti jednog i pocetak drugog)....Ima tu neke logike....

Back