Srpske kraljevske povelje u Mletačkom državnom arhivu od 1208. do 1460.

Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice
Contributed by the Institute of Balkan Studies of the Serbian Academy of Sciences and Arts as part of the Community as Opportunity – The Creative Users’ and Archives’ Network (CO:OP) project. From the 13th to the 15th century the Serbian Nemanjić dynasty and its successor states (the Serbian Despotate and the Balšić and Crnojević regional lordships) maintained a strong presence on the southeastern Adriatic seaboard, establishing strong political and economic contacts with the leading maritime power of the period – the Republic of Venice. As a result, the vast medieval documentary heritage preserved in the State Archives of Venice also includes 25 documents issued by Serbian authors from the year 1208 to 1460. They are presented in this collection with names consisting of the date of issue and the name of the issuer in the following format: yyyy-mm-dd – Issuer Name. If taq is inserted, the issue date given is the terminus ante quem, while tpq means terminus post quem, and cca is circa. Copies of the same document are marked by adding letters (A, B, etc).

Abbreviations:

• Acta Albaniae : : Acta et diplomata res Albaniae mediae aetatis illustrantia I–II (ed. L. Thallóczy – C. Jireček – E. Sufflay), Vindobonae 1913, 1918.
  • Acta Albaniae Veneta I-XXV (ed. J. Valentini), Munchen 1967–1975.
  • Acta archivi veneti : : Acta archivi veneti spectantia ad historiam Serborum et reliquarum Slavorum meridionalium I–II (ed. J. Schafárik), Belgradi 1860, 1862. = J. Šafarik, Srbski spomenici mletačkog arhiva, Glasnik Društva srbske slovesnosti 11–15 (1859-1862)
  • Glasnik SUD 32 : : V. Makušev, Prilozi k srpskoj istoriji 14. i 15. veka, Glasnik Srpskog učenog društva 32 (1871) 164–208. (cyr)
  • Listine : : Listine o odnošajih izmedju južnoga Slavenstva i Mletačke republike I–X (ed. Ѕ. Ljubić), Zagreb 1868–1891.
  • Monumenta Serbica : : Monumenta Ѕerbica spectantia historiam Serbiae, Bosnae, Ragusii (ed. F. Miklosich), Viennae 1858.
  • Odabrani spomenici : : Odabrani spomenici srpskog prava (ed. A. Solovjev), Beograd 1926. (cyr)
  • Rad JAZU 1 : : F. Rački, Prilozi za sbirku srbskih i bosanskih listina, Rad Jugoslavenske akademije znanosti i umjetnosti 1 (1867) 124–163.
  • SSA 1 : : S. Marjanović-Dušanić, Povelja kralja Milutina opatiji Sv. Marije Ratačke, Stari srpski arhiv 1 (2002) 13–29. (cyr)
  • Zakonski spomenici : : Zakonski spomenici srpskih država srednjeg veka (ed. S. Novaković), Beograd 1912. (cyr)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1208-07-03_Djordje_Vukanov_A

Tv11yE9.jpg

Abstract
3 July 1208, “in provintia illustris regis Georgii”
“King“ Đorđe, son of Vukan Nemanjić, swears an oath of fidelity to the Venetian doge Petro Çiani (copy A).

Text witnesses
Authentic copy in Venetian register.
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Liber Pactorum 1, fol. 143.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno incarnationis Domini MCCVIII, mense iulii indictione undecima ... Actum est hoc die tertio introeunte predicti mensis iulii.
Editions:
Rad JAZU 1, 128, nr. 2; Listine I, 27, nr. 35; Zakonski spomenici, 261; Acta Albaniae I, 42–43, nr. 134 (excerpt and commentary); Odabrani spomenici, 16–17, nr. 13.
Language: Latin.

Index
Places
“in provintia illustris regis Georgii”

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1208-07-03_Djordje_Vukanov_B

jSgZ73k.jpg

Abstract
3 July 1208,
“King“ Đorđe, son of Vukan Nemanjić, swears an oath of fidelity to the Venetian doge Petro Çiani (copy B).

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Liber Pactorum 2, fol. 160.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno incarnationis Domini MCCVIII, mense iulii indictione undecima ... Actum est hoc die tertio introeunte predicti mensis iulii.
Editions:
see 1208–07–03_Djordje_Vukanov_A

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1306-03-15_cca_Milutin

jfDeKkk.jpg

xXY20ce.jpg

Abstract
15 March, around 1306, Kotor
King Stefan Uroš II Milutin confirms to the monastery of the Blessed Virgin Mary on Ratac the grant of six villages donated by his mother, Queen Jelena.

Text witnesses
Original.
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Miscellanea atti diplomatici e privati, busta 10, nr. 344 (a parte).
Sigillant: Stefan Uroš II Milutin.
Seal: Remains of red chord running through four holes. Wax seal of natural color, now lost, was described in 1940 as a disfigured mass, probably due to heat exposure. Stefan Uroš II Milutin.
Material: Parchment.
Dimensions: 430-470 x 390-400 mm
Condition: Good. Ink slightly faded along folds.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Сиѥ писа Пeтриць диιакь мѣсeца мар`та .eι.
Editions:
Monumenta Serbica, 67–69, nr. 65; Glasnik SUD 32, 164–167, nr. 1; Zakonski spomenici, 603–606; SSA 1, 14–16.
Language: Serbian.

Index
Places
Kotor

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1330-05-01_Stefan_Decanski

nGvoWTL.jpg

Abstract
1 May 1330,
King Stefan Dečanski writes to Doge Francisco Dandulo confirming his grant of free and safe transit to Venetian merchants on the way to the Byzantine Empire.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 3, fol. 64, nr. 108

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum primo die mensis madii, XIII indictionis.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 15–16, nr. 17; Listine I, 377, nr. 552; Zakonski spomenici, 262.

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1332-06-10_Stefan_Dusan

ryohlIR.jpg

Abstract
10 June 1332,
King Stefan Dušan writes to Doge Francisco Dandulo about measures taken to provide satisfaction to Venetian merchant Nicolao Brivosso, robbed by a rebel nobleman.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 3, fol. 93, nr. 175

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum die X mensis junii.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 18–19, nr. 19; Rad JAZU 1, 141–142, nr. 12; Listine I, 410–411, nr. 609.

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1341-05-22_Stefan_Dusan

Js0SFlg.jpg

Abstract
22 May 1341,
King Stefan Dušan writes to Doge Francisco Dandulo (sic!) that he is willing to renounce his royal ius naufragii in regard to shipwrecks involving Venetian ships.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 3, fol. 192, nr. 551

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum in regali nostra curia XXII mensis madii.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 28–29, nr. 29; Rad JAZU 1, 141, nr. 11; Listine II, 111, nr. 185; Zakonski spomenici, 263–264 (excerpt).

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1345-10-15_Stefan_Dusan

bKhutgK.jpg

Abstract
15 October 1345, Serres
King Stefan Dušan writes to Doge Andrea Dandulo agreeing to extend the treaty between Venice and the King's maritime city of Kotor for another two years and offering help to the Venetians against rebels in Zadar.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 4, fol. 95v, nr. 173

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum in Sero, die quintodecimo octubris, indictione _.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 44–46, nr. 41; Listine II, 278–279, nr. 462.

Index
Places
Serres

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1345-10-15_cca_Nikola_Buca

aUVkTi1.jpg

Abstract
around 15 October 1345,
Nikola Buća, treasurer of King Stefan Dušan, writes to Doge Andrea Dandulo informing him of the King's decision to extend the treaty between Venice and the King's maritime city of Kotor for another two years and to offer help to the Venetians against rebels in Zadar.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 4, fol. 95v, nr. 174

Diplomatic Analysis
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 46–47, nr. 42; Listine III, 279, nr. 463,

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1348-04-01 taq_Stefan_Dusan

lak49kI.jpg

Abstract
before 1 April 1348,
Emperor Stefan Dušan writes to Doge Andrea Dandulo agreeing to extend the treaty between Venice and the King's maritime city of Kotor for another three years.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 4, fol. 114, nr. 217
Sigillant: Emperor Stefan Dušan.
Seal: Mentioned in text (sigillatum bulla aurea). Emperor Stefan Dušan.

Diplomatic Analysis
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 109–110, nr. 84; Listine III, 72, nr. 109; Zakonski spomenici, 38–39.

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1388-02-28_Djuradj_II_Balsic

mTlUGFw.jpg

Abstract
28 February 1388, Ulcinj
Đurađ II Balšić, lord of Zeta, grants privileges to Venetians living in Ulcinj.

Text witnesses
Authentic copy-translation in Venetian register.
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 8, fol. 150, nr. 353
Sigillant: Đurađ II Balšić.
Seal: Mentioned in text (et per pluy fermeza misser Gorgi mese el so sigillo e conferma questo scrito de so man). Đurađ II Balšić.
Material: Original was on paper (in quadam parte folii unius papiri scriptam).

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: MCCCLXXXVIII, de XXVIII feurer, in Dulcigno.
Editions:
Monumenta Serbica, 566, nr. 490 (signature only); Listine IV, 244–245, nr. 351; Zakonski spomenici, 270.
Language: Text in Italian, signature in Serbian.

Index
Places
Ulcinj

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1395-11-10_Djuradj_II_Balsic

i6rXUju.jpg

Abstract
10 November 1395, Ulcinj
Đurađ II Balšić, lord of Zeta, names friar Nicolaus Samarixiis, doctor of theology, and two other individuals as his ambassadors to the Venetian authorities.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 9, fol. 16v, nr. 16

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno nativitatis eiusdem millesimo trecentesimo nonagesimo quinto, quarta indictione, die decimo mensis novembris in castro civitatis Dulcigni.
Editions:
Listine IV, 350–351, nr. 500; Acta Albaniae II, 145, nr. 542 (excerpt); Acta Albaniae Veneta I–2, 297–298, nr. 601.

Index
Places
Ulcinj

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1396-05-31_Djuradj_II_Balsic

mwlacCI.jpg

Abstract
31 May 1396, Ulcinj
Đurađ II Balšić, lord of Zeta, writes to the Doge that his forces have killed Radič Crnojević and that he has turned over to the Venetians the city of Skadar in accordance with previous agreements.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 9, fol. 22, nr. 28

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum Dulcinei, ultima mensis maii.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 322–323, nr. 201; Listine IV, 377, nr. 519; Acta Albaniae II, 149, nr. 557 (excerpt); Acta Albaniae Veneta I–3, 7, nr. 635.

Index
Places
Ulcinj

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1407-06-xx_Jelena_Balsic

M29FOqS.jpg

ceT0yyn.jpg

Abstract
June 1407, at the seacoast of Bar, by the Željeznica River
Jelena Balšić and her son Balša III Balšić, lord of Zeta, conclude peace with Venetian representatives, naming the Despot of Serbia, count Karlo Topija and lady Mara Branković as guarantors.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 10, fol. 78r-78v, nr. 91
Sigillant: Jelena and/or Balša III.
Seal: Mentioned in text (bullatis et factis presentibus scripturis ac factis sacramentis a partribus). Jelena and/or Balša III.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno nativitatis eiusdem millesimo quadringentesimo septimo, mense iunii, indictione prima, ad marithimam Antibari prope flumen Xelesnice.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 400–405, nr. 237; Listine V, 97–99, nr. 103.

Index
Places
at the seacoast of Bar, by the Željeznica River

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1408-05-06_Jelena_Balsic

52NgQCY.jpg

breriQh.jpg

Abstract
6 May 1408, Berislavci (near Podgorica)
Jelena Balšić and her son Balša III Balšić, lord of Zeta, name count Karlo Topija and Venetian Piero Arimundo as their representatives in peace negotiations with Venice.

Text witnesses
Transumpt in an authentic copy of a document from 6 June 1408, in Venetian register.
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 10, fol. 76v-77r, nr. 90
Seal: Mentioned in text (e per plu confermation de questa letera la fessemo bollar de nostra bolla). Jelena and/or Balša III.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: In la nostra corte Berislavichi ala nativitade del nostro signor Yesu Christo MCCCCVIII, indicion prima, a di VI maço.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 409, nr. 239; Listine V, 119, nr. 124
Language: Italian (originally Serbian).

Index
Places
Berislavci (near Podgorica)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1408-11-09_Jelena_Balsic

duhM5LP.jpg

Abstract
9 November 1408, Godinje (near Bar)
Jelena Balšić and her son Balša III Balšić, lord of Zeta, proclaim to their subjects that they have concluded peace with Venice.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 10, fol. 78v, nr. 92
Sigillant: Balša III (cum bulla Balse).
Seal: Mentioned in text (e per fermeza mettemo la nostra bolla). Balša III (cum bulla Balse).

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Dada in Godigne ad VIIII de novembre MCCCCVIII.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti I, 414–415, nr. 240; Listine V, 139, nr. 143
Language: Italian (originally Serbian?).

Index
Places
Godinje (near Bar)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1409-10-27_Jelena_Balsic

KpDL0qT.jpg

BGDhFWx.jpg

Abstract
27 October 1409, Venice
Jelena Balšić, representing her son Balša III Balšić, lord of Zeta, concludes a peace treaty with Venice based on the status quo at the time when she left Zeta on her way to Venice.

Text witnesses
Original.
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Miscellanea atti diplomatici e privati, busta 32, nr. 960.
Seal: Impressed seal of green wax, only upper left part preserved. Jelena and/or Balša III.
Dimensions: 360 x 340 mm
Condition: Very good.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum Venetiis millesimo quadringentesimo nono, indictione tertia, die vigesimo septimo mensis octobris.
Editions:
Glasnik SUD 32, 177–181, nr. 4; Listine VI, 39–41, nr. 33.

Index
Places
Venice

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1413-01-30_Balsa_III

8dG9FI2.jpg

dfmYJxC.jpg

Abstract
30 January 1413, Bar
Balša III Balšić, lord of Zeta, confirms the peace treaty with Venice negotiated in his behalf by Sandalj, Grand Duke of Bosnia.

Text witnesses
Original.
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Miscellanea atti diplomatici e privati, busta 33, nr. 978 (a parte).
Sigillant: Balša III.
Seal: Impressed seal of green wax, covered by paper. Balša III.
Dimensions: 310 х 340 mm
Condition: Very good.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Data in Antivari ad trenta zenaro MCCCCXIII, indictione sexta.
Editions:
Listine VII, 68–70.
Language: Italian.

Index
Places
Bar

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1423-04-04_Pastrovici

rFOak9F.jpg

bZGUaex.jpg

Abstract
4 April 1423,
Nobles from the Paštrovići region set out the conditions for accepting Venetian authority.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 11, fol. 117r-117v, nr. 328

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Millesimo quadringetesimo vigesimo tercio , indictione prima, die quarto mensis aprilis, in galea magnifici et generosi militis domini Francisci Bembo.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 174–178, nr. 371; Listine VII, 225–226; Zakonski spomenici, 118–121.

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1423-08-12_Djuradj_Brankovic

PJgNX3R.jpg

MP2WUKK.jpg

Kc6Kwax.jpg

Abstract
12 August 1423, Sveti Srdj (near Skadar/Shkodër)
Đurađ Branković, representative of Serbian Despot Stefan Lazarević in the maritime territories, concludes a preliminary peace treaty with Venetian commander Francisco Bembo.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 11, fol. 115v-116v, nr. 326
Sigillant: Đurađ Branković.
Seal: Mentioned in text (Ego Nicolaus de Arcilupis de Kataro imperiali autoritate iudex ordinarius et publicus notarius ... signo quoque et nomine meis solitis et consuetis una cum prefati magnifici domini Georgii impensione sigilli roboravi). Đurađ Branković.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno a nativitate eiusdem millesimo quadringentesimo vigesimo tercio, indictione prima, die duodecimo mensis augusti, in castris magnifici domini domini Georgii quondam Vulchi infrascripti contra bastiani Sancti Sergii serenissimi ducalis dominii Venetiarum et cetera, sub papione eiusdem dominii Georgii.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 201–212, nr. 381; Listine VIII, 248–253; Zakonski spomenici, 280–281 (excerpt).
Language: Latin and Italian.

Index
Places
Sveti Srdj (near Skadar/Shkodër)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1424-08-26_Djuradj_Brankovic

pYdwFpI.jpg

Abstract
26 August 1424, Plana (near Kraljevo)
Đurađ Branković, representative of Serbian Despot Stefan Lazarević in the maritime territories, concludes a draft peace treaty with Francisco Quirino, Venetian captain of Albania, defining cross-borded rights of Serbian and Venetian subjects.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 11, fol. 116v, nr. 327
Seal: Mentioned in text (Et per fermeza de zo fo soto sigilladi de li sigilli de le sora dite parte). Đurađ Branković.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Data in Plana die XXVI mensis augusti, millesimo quadringentesimo vigesimo quarto.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 215–217, nr. 385; Listine VIII, 277–278; Zakonski spomenici, 281–282 (excerpt).
Language: Italian.

Index
Places
Plana (near Kraljevo)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1426-04-22_Djuradj_Brankovic

pRs0ANB.jpg

9rqOqTj.jpg

2npNqEh.jpg

XuieQgX.jpg

Abstract
22 April 1426, Vučitrn
Đurađ Branković, representative of Serbian Despot Stefan Lazarević in the maritime territories, concludes a peace treaty with Francisco Quirino, Venetian captain of Skadar, defining the border between the two sides.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemoralium 11, fol. 147r-148v, nr. 436.
Seal: Mentioned in text (Ego Manfredinus ser Guilielmi de Monteclaro publicus imperiali auctoritate notarius ... signo quoque et nomine meis solitis una cum prefati magnifici domini domini Georgii impressione sigilli roboravi). Đurađ Branković.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno eiusdem Domini millesimo quadringentesimo vigesimo sexto, indictione quarta, die vigesimo secundo mensis aprilis. Actum in Vuolcitern, videlicet in curia infrascripti magnifici et potentis domini, domini Georgii quondam Vulchi.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 242–257, nr. 391; Listine IX, 7–14; Zakonski spomenici, 282–285 (excerpt).

Index
Places
Vučitrn

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1426-07-25_Stefan_Lazarevic

NrfD3Ao.jpg

Abstract
25 July 1426, Srebrenica (near Rudnik)
Despot Stefan Lazarević ratifies the conditions of peace agreed between Đurađ Branković and Venetian representatives Francisco Bembo and Francisco Quirin.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemoralium 11, fol. 150r, nr. 438.
Sigillant: Stefan Lazarević.
Seal: Mentioned in text (Ad quorum omnium certitudinem ... presentes fieri iussimus nostrique despotatus sigilli cum appensione roborari). Stefan Lazarević.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum in descensu nostro Zreberniza vocato die vigesimoquinto mensis julii, anno Domini millesimo quadringentesimo vigesimo sexto.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 258–260, nr. 392; Listine IX, 17–18.

Index
Places
Srebrenica (near Rudnik)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1426-11-11_Djuradj_Brankovic

Zqyum6B.jpg

xANdK1N.jpg

hEftEFp.jpg

Abstract
11 November 1426, Drivast (Drisht, near Skadar/Shkodër)
Đurađ Branković, representative of Serbian Despot Stefan Lazarević in the maritime territories, concludes the final peace treaty with Francisco Quirino, Venetian captain of Albania.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemoralium 11, fol. 149r-150r, nr. 437.
Seal: Mentioned in text (In quorum testimonium nos Georgius … presentes fieri iussimus et nostri sigilli impressione muniri). Đurađ Branković.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Datum Drivasti die XI mensis novembris MCCCCXXVI, indictione quarta.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 260–269, nr. 393; Listine IX, 14–17; Zakonski spomenici, 285–286 (excerpt).

Index
Places
Drivast (Drisht, near Skadar/Shkodër)

Charter: Serbian Medieval Documents in the State Archives of Venice 1435-08-14_Djuradj_Brankovic

XKkffzZ.jpg

qQTKYsa.jpg

Abstract
14 August 1435, Smederevo
Despot Đurađ Branković concludes an agreement with Venetian representative Nicolo Memo, settling unresolved disputes from the treaty of 1426 and new issues.

Text witnesses
Current repository:
Venice, Archivio di Stato, Commemorialium 12, fol. 151r-151v, nr. 231.

Diplomatic Analysis
Quote: Anno nativitatis eiusdem millesimo quadringentesimo trigesimo quinto, indictione terciadecima, die quartodecimo mensis augusti.
Editions:
Acta archivi veneti II, 287–300, nr. 403; Listine IX, 80–85.

Index
Places
Smederevo

Back