Rob Gerboers
piano/organ
Bart Kamp
bass
Ronald Oor
drums
Bernard Allison
Guest on #11
Can a young lady from Yugoslavia really have a handle on the blues? You betcha! Popovic's mild European accent adds an interesting character to her sassy vocals, and she sings the blues with obvious comfort and confidence. Add to this the fact that Ana is also quite handy with a guitar, and you have the complete blues package.
The CD's overall feel is upbeat and spunky, but not heavy. There is a consistent presence of guitar through out the CD, but I would stop short of calling this a guitar oriented disc. Elsewhere I've read comparisons of Popovic's style to Hendrix and SRV, but this is not accurate... nor is it fair to Ana. She truly has a very individual style that is pretty much unique to her. There's a bit of bite dialed into the guitar's tone, but it's not over-stated or heavily over-driven. She plays both standard and slide guitar, and she's very capable in either mode. I like her slide work the best. She grinds out a strong, bluesy feel, often mixing in a little wah-wah... very nice. When she's fretting the guitar, there's sometimes a light, jazzy feel to her playing, and a couple of songs were obviously arranged to compliment that style.
There are an equal number of covers and originals, and there is no fall off as the CD transistions between them. There are clearly some talented songwriters in this group. I like nearly all the songs on the CD equally well, but my favorites are the ones featuring Popovic's on slide. I think it's pretty safe to say that most every blues guitar freak's favorite song will be Ana's duet with Bernard Allison, "Bring Your Fine Self Home". It's an excellent, moving, and fun redition of this popular song. The pair trade licks on slide guitar, and it's a good match up.
Hush! is an overall well balanced CD. Popovic's vocals and guitar each share equally in delivering the music. Neither outweights, nor is more significant, than the other. The backing musicians provide an interesting variety of rhythms and are solid backdrop for Ana to work from. The production and technical aspects of the disc are top notch.
Hush! doesn't really fit a typical mold for any certain style of blues. It's a rather unique and fresh blend of moods and styles, while still maintaining a strong connection with the blues. So there you have it. This young lady from Yugoslavia can definitely play the blues, and it's easy for me to recommend this CD to any blues fan.

ElectricBlues

Ana Popovic is an incredible guitarist/vocalist who was born in Belgrade , Yugoslavia and now resides in The Netherlands. Her career has been meteoric , and shows no signs of slowing down. Ana is the first European ever nominated for "Best New Blues Artist" at the W.C. Handy Award Show in Memphis, Tennessee (2003). She was also nominated for "Best Blues Album" at the Jammie Awards in New York City , a three way nominee for "Best Vocalist" , "Best Guitarist" and "Best Album" at the French Blues Awards (2002), and she and her band won the prestigious jazz award "Jazz A Juan revelation In Juan Le Pins" (France 2004).

In 2000 , Ana recorded her first release titled "HUSH". In February 2003 , she released her second album "Comfort ToThe Soul" . She recently released a LIVE CD/DVD titled "ANA" Live in Amsterdam. This DVD has received much critical acclaim , and is sure to become a favorite of Ana's old and new fans as well! The most impressive aspect of ANA's music is her diversity of techniques and styles. Her blend of smoking electric funk slide guitar , jazzy instrumentals , tight blues groove , soulful feminine vocals , and her incredible stage presence makes her an irresistable force in the music world . The best is yet to come!!!

Come in and participate in ANA's Official fan site !
Be sure and REGISTER for the site to obtain ALL the great features this site has to offer!

ENJOY,
Geraldo
(site administrator)

Ana plays all over Europe, Canada and America.
Check out Ana's official website www.anapopovic.com !

ja sam pstovao neke njene slike na Fotografije omiljenih muzicara....i mislio sam da je ''uzalud'' pistai o njoj, ali drago mi je da ima josh njenih fanova

ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA ANA

Bila je na Voxstocku pre par godina
izuzetna je
mada mi se vishe dopadalo ono shto je radila sa grupom Hush
bilo je da kazzem chvrshche
a ovo sad je bolje muzichki ne mogu rechi da nije
al sam ja izgleda vishe vezana za njen stari zvuk

O njoj chemo josh puno chuti

Ja sam album skinula s neta, a verovatno ima da se kupi po cd shop-ovima...
Zove se Still making history i odlican je. Po meni najbolji njen album do sada.
Ana je inace odlican gitarista, dobar bluz vokal i steta je sto malo nasih ljudi zna za nju. U svetu je ipak postovan izvodjac. Cak je i jedno od zastitnih lica Fendera.
Citam postove pojedinih koji se sprdaju u fazonu ko je to, sedim s njom u klupi...
Ja se ne bih ponosila sopstvenim neznanjem.

Poslednja izmena:

Back