Thumbs down paris, texas

Paris, Texas (1984)
    Directed by
    Wim Wenders

Writing credits
    L.M. Kit Carson (adaptation)
    Sam Shepard (written by)

Genre: Drama (more)

Tagline: It brings magic back to the cinema...

Plot Summary: A man wanders out of the desert not knowing who he is. His brother finds him, and helps to pull his... (more)

User Comments: Do I envy people who don't like this movie? (more)

User Rating: ********__ 7.7/10 (5,944 votes)

Credited cast:
    Harry Dean Stanton .... Travis
    Nastassja Kinski .... Jane
    Dean Stockwell .... Walt
    Aurore Clément .... Anne
    Hunter Carson .... Hunter
    Socorro Valdez .... Carmelita
    Bernhard Wicki .... Doctor Ulmer
    rest of cast listed alphabetically:
    Sam Berry .... Gas Station Attendant
    Tom Farrell .... Screaming Man
    Edward Fayton .... Hunter's friend
    Justin Hogg .... Hunter age 3
    John Lurie .... Slater
    Sharon Menzel .... Comedienne
    Claresie Mobley .... Car Rental Clerk
    Sally Norvell .... Nurse Bibs
    Jeni Vici .... Stretch
    Viva .... Woman on TV (as Viva Auder)

Also Known As:
    Motel Chronicles (West Germany) (working title)
    Runtime: 147 min
    Language: English
    Color: Color
    Sound Mix: Mono
    Certification: AustraliaG / Finland:S / Norway:12 / Sweden:Btl / UK:15 / USA:R / Argentina:13 / SingaporeG / New Zealand:R / France:U / Portugal:M/12

Trivia: Composer Ry Cooder recreated blues guitarist Blind Willie Johnson's 1927 tune "Dark Was the Night" as the centerpiece of his Paris, Texas (1984) soundtrack. (more)

Goofs: Factual errors: In the end credits there is a spelling error: Assistant Director is spelled Assistant Diretor (more)

Walt: We live in the suburbs, but I've got my business in town
    Travis: Oh yeah? What's your business?
    Walt: I make billboard signs for advertising.
    Travis: Oh yeah? So *you*'re the one who makes those signs, I love those. Some of them are beautiful.
    Walt: I'm not the only one who makes them, Trav.

Awards: Nominated for Golden Globe. Another 14 wins & 5 nominations (more)

shop amazon
    Paris, Texas at Paris, Texas DVD available at Paris, Texas VHS available at Paris, Texas CD available at
    Paris, Texas at Paris, Texas DVD available at Paris, Texas VHS unavailable at Paris, Texas CD unavailable at
    Paris, Texas at Paris, Texas DVD available at Paris, Texas VHS available at Paris, Texas CD unavailable at
    Paris, Texas at Paris, Texas DVD available at Paris, Texas VHS available at Paris, Texas CD unavailable at

Books | All Products

User Comments:

9 out of 9 people found the following comment useful:-
    Do I envy people who don't like this movie?, 3 April 2001
    Author: ( from Albuquerque, NM

It's hard for me to select just one movie as my very favorite, but if I had to, "Paris, Texas" would probably be it.

As I recall, I first saw it while I was a student in a small theater in '84 or '85; a year or two later I recorded it from cable to Beta tape. After not having watched it for years, I've played it again a few times over the last couple of years. Many movies I recall having liked in the past are just big disappointments when I watch them years later. That's not the case with this one! Then I was single; now I'm married. That alone makes a big difference, but I also find that even some small elements now have more meaning. I previously attached no significance to the scene where Travis was determined to find the same rental car in which he and Walt had previously driven. But how often people do sentimentally and fiercely cling to, objectively, unimportant things in reaction to having had their hearts and spirits broken more than a few times over important things. I often recall this scene when observing some instance of this in myself or others.

I am struck by what opposite opinions people have of this movie. If you have few problems relating to other people, or you don't care much about relating to other humans, and little in your life disappoints you over long spells of your life, you will probably find this movie very boring. I sort of envy people in this situation, though before I would want to wish myself to be like that, I pause at how much my life would be changed and how little of my personality would be left, if I did.

I, too, eagerly await the release of this movie on high quality DVD, and hope that my still barely viewable Beta will last til then.

"Oh, Travis."

Starosedelac jomini (avatar)
    Reputaciona moć

Podrazumevano Re: paris, texas

Svašta! Kakav komentar očekuješ???

Slične teme

Autor gucci_novosadjanka u forumu Muzika
    Odgovora: 227
    Poslednja poruka: 14.05.2007., 20:55
  2. Paris Hilton
    Autor absonic u forumu Muškarci
    Odgovora: 34