Šta se dešava s muzikom u štampi??!

"I'm saying what the women want to hear but are afraid to say ..." Macka Diamond

It may well be a man's, man's, man's world. It might even be a mad world too but artists such as Macka Diamond are showing it up for what it really is and, hopefully, starting to change it too. Jamaican music has long been infamous for its macho braggadocio and its unashamedly sexist stance so when a woman enters this male dominated arena and ends up beating the men at their own game you have to realise that something special is happening ... step forward Macka Diamond.

Charmaine Munroe was born in Kingston (but never ask a lady her age!) and grew up in Portmore where she attended Holy Childhood High School. Even then her focus was more on becoming a deejay than on her studies and she used to skip her art classes in order to practise her skills and to entertain her friends at the back of the school. Her father, Phillip Munroe, is a record producer who not only worked with Gregory Isaacs but who was also friendly with Sly & Robbie and King Jammys and young Charmaine grew up surrounded by music. It was after hearing artists such as Sister Nancy (aka Mama Nancy), a female deejay trailblazer, that she decided she too was going to become a deejay and she made up her mind that she would: "soon join unoo ...". Unfortunately her mother did not share her dream but after she had emigrated to the USA the way was left open for Charmaine and, much to her teacher's disappointment, she decided against moving on to the Sixth Form after finishing High School in 1987. Instead she headed for stardom.

She asked a friend to show her where Lady Junie, another foundation female deejay, lived and she went round and introduced herself. Lady Junie was not slow to realise Charmaine's potential and she began to take her protege around and introduce her to some of the movers in the music business.

"I got my influence by listening to the female artistes who were big at the time ... Mama Nancy, Lady Ann, Lady Junie and Lady G." Charmaine had decided to call herself Lady Charm but after she had made her first record, an answer version to Major Mackerel's 'Don Ban', the producer insisted it came out under the name of Lady Mackerel. Apparently Charmaine cried when she heard this but the producer was insistent and so she went along with it for she knew that her time would come and that she would eventually make it under her own terms. 'Don Girl' proved to be a hit and she went on to record for Sound System champions Stone Love, King Tubby's Kingston 11 label and in various combinations including live work and recording with Captain Barkey and Wicker Man. She never stopped working, developing her own individual style and stage persona, and she became a stalwart and dependable feature on Kingston's dance hall scene building all the time towards her big break: "Never give up on your dreams. Just continue to work if you believe in yourself." Charmaine was not going to give up her dream and any setbacks that she encountered along the way only served to encourage her to try even harder. "When I could not get a tune to play on the radio that was hurtful ... even when I recorded a tune which I knew was good it did not get played."

Charmaine decided that she had finally outgrown her Lady Mackerel epithet in 2003 and changed her name to Macka Diamond; along with the new name came a different, more aggressive lyrical approach. That year Vybz Kartel's massive hit 'Tek Buddy' had put forward the theory that women were after pots and pans in return for sex so Macka Diamond came straight back with the answer tune 'Tek Con'. This release really did hit home and her ribald reply informed Vybz Kartel (and misogynists everywhere) that wide screen televisions would be preferable!

"The change can come if all female artists decide to get more serious ... get more aggressive as the male."

All Macka Diamond's hard work finally paid off in the summer of 2004 when 'Done A Ready' topped the Jamaican charts. This was the first time a female had topped the charts in four years. Her unapologetic dig at men who failed to meet the required standard touched a nerve deep down with the female audience who had grown tired of dancehall's relentless boastful machismo. Someone was telling a different side to the story: a side that was not usually mentioned in 'polite company'. It touched a nerve with some of the island's deejays too but Macka was more than able to deal with this:

grelcd284.jpg

zašto ja o Maki moram da čitam na netu :P

Kako kod nas izgledaju muzichke kritike (i kritike uopshte), mozhda je i bolje shto ih nema. Sa toliko bogatim resources na netu, meni zaista ne trebaju nekakvi papiri da mi se razvlache po kuci... Shtedimo nashe shume!

Agrarna muzichka publika, o chijim idolima nema toliko podataka u digitalnoj formi, moze biti zadovoljna nachinom na koji nashe novine pokrivaju deshavanja i novitete :P

Mada... Jesam li vam vec kachio adresu Bajinog sajta?
Ako nisam, evo je: http://www.baja-mali-knindza.com/

(pazite samo da vas ne preplashi homepage)

Betty:
može, ko zna, možda odavde
meni je super kad je maaalko onako ulično...ali samo maaalkice, da zaintrigira, npr. "i onda je on na opusu 46. Rahmanjinova konačno pokazao svoju analnu odanost kontroli " :lol:

meni je taj ulicni stil ok u blogovima, u andergraund izdanjima i slicno. od nekoga ko pise za ozbiljan casopis ocekujem ozbiljno obrazovanje, poznavanje materije, informisanost i prefinjan stil :) dakle ja sam konzervativac.

Betty:
:) ...i od sve te ozbiljnosti pocrkasmo pored puteva koji vode u svet ....sve moj do mojega, kome treba ozbiljan časopis koji kupuju samo roditelji autora, i poneki klinički mrtvac? To može oma u reciklažu :)

"Ozbiljno" kod mene ne znaci "dosadno". Vise kao solidno poznavanje materije... ne znam, ja sam ponekad alergicna na zargon, sleng, fazone, jer zgodne fraze cesto prikrivaju neznanje ili blefiranje... Nije pravilo, naravno.

Betty:
:) ...i od sve te ozbiljnosti pocrkasmo pored puteva koji vode u svet ....sve moj do mojega, kome treba ozbiljan časopis koji kupuju samo roditelji autora, i poneki klinički mrtvac? To može oma u reciklažu :)

Meni treba ozbiljan casopis! Definiciju ozbiljnog sam vec dala u prethodnom postu, dakle hocu da citam casopis za koji pisu ljudi koji znaju vise od mene! Koj ce mi moj polovicne informacije. A ako neko stvarno mnogo zna - moze da pise kako hoce! I ulicarski! Samo sto ti koji mnogo znaju uglavnom ne pisu kao ulicari... :)

Back